Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Dear new parents, you're going to miss this.





Dear new Mom and Dad,

Congratulations!

I am writing this letter to let you know how this is a exciting time for you! So many first to come, first foods, first steps, first words. It is also a very exhausting time, sleepless nights, baby's first cold, stomach bug and so many other "events" to come. I am sure you keep hearing "oh it goes by so fast", I want to confirm with you that it does go by so fast.  I remember the fall of 2005 our first son was born. It was such a exciting time, I was so nervous and excited to welcome this new member of our family. I can remember him being about 6 weeks old, nursing every 2 hours and sleeping less. I was standing in my kitchen and said to my husband "when will his parents come and get him". I was used to being a nanny and sending those little bundles back to mom and dad.  Before long  he was no longer nursing and sleeping 12 hours a night. 2 1/2 years later our second bundle of love came. He was loud and proud!  We had even more sleepless nights due to his colic, and my severe PPD.   I remember a conversation I had with my step dad, my hero, during this "awful" time of my life. He told me that it will pass and wanted me to listen to a song by Trace Adkins "You're gonna miss this"   I remember listening to that song and laughing saying "YEA, NO, I will not miss this, I will not miss crying colic baby, a 2 1/2 yr old getting zero attention because I am going out of my mind. " Well truth be told 6 years later, I do miss it. I miss it a lot. I miss it to the point of tears. I miss my kids being home with me, our many adventures, our many first together, our naps, our cuddles, me kissing boo-boos, just them needing me and actually me needing them more.

So new parents, I am asking, no begging you to PLEASE, take a deep breath, Don't worry about the small stuff, the house will be clean again before you even realize. You will get caught up on the laundry, you will have time to shower and finally organize that closet that is messy, but for now take the time to sit on the floor with your baby, go for a walk. make these never ending days an adventure. Because I promise you you're going to miss this and you will never get this day back. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...