Tuesday, July 1, 2014

PVC solar cover holder

We have a new pool and living in Michigan we need the solar cover. For those that have wondered if they really work, I can assure you solar covers do work. They work by raising the pool water tempature 1-2 degrees, which doesn't seem like much but what they really do is hold the tempature over night.  The issue with an above ground pool is where to put the solar cover while swimming? With kids, dogs and wanting green grass, the ground is a horrible option so after some pinning and visit to a Home Depot. My husband came up with this idea.... "U" shaped pvc attached to pool legs. 
It is 1 1/4" pvc, cut three pieces 1 foot, use two 90* elbows and two caps for each holder. Use pvc indoor/ outdoor cement and glue together.  we used 4 holders for a 16' round pool.  You will need clamps and zip ties to attach to legs of pool. 

It has worked really well for us. I would love to hear if you used this idea and what the results were. 

19 comments:

  1. great idea, here is other great idea to heat the pool https://www.patriotdirect.org/how-to-heat-a-pool-with-solar-energy/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I'm trying this idea. Thank you for sharing and I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! We just got a pool and have struggled with what to do with the cover as well! Stealing this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! We just got a pool and have struggled with what to do with the cover as well! Stealing this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracias. Excelente Idea. Ya lo estoy preparando.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracias. Excelente Idea. Ya lo estoy preparando.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracias. Excelente Idea. Ya lo estoy preparando.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My DIY project for the week. Thanks Much

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea but not for the purpose of a solar cover as I live in South Carolina. This exact design would be great to hang the 8...yes 8 inner tubes my daughter and all her friends use. Right now I have A 4 inch wide 8 foot PVC pipe to put them around and it looks horrible. Your design would allow me to put them in the back of the pool unseen, Some are small enough to probably fit 2 on and the larger ones just one but the point is, great idea for the solar cover for those who need one and can also be used for the pool tubes we have. thank you for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used this idea using 3/4 PVC tried using wide wire wraps but the weight of the cover pulls them down on the poles and moves side ways.. I used pipe clamps hose clamps and they stay put .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea for storing my leaf/debris net!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally someone came up with an idea for a t-bar above ground pool. I've had my pool for 15 years looking for some ideas for my type pool. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just did this. It is amazing and genius! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband built this yesterday for our 24’x 52” AGP
    It has 5 holders, maybe it’ll need a 6th?

    ReplyDelete
  16. i loved this idea and showed it to my husband when we first put our pool up this year. for some reason he thought they would be better ON THE GATE!!! i've killed myself all summer getting the cover on those damn hooks. next year they will be ON the pool like i showed him in the first place. thanks for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...